Department of Justice Investigates Police Response to Uvalde Massacre

Following the tragic shooting rampage that took place at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, the Justice Department initiated a critical incident investigation to investigate how law enforcement responded to the situation.

The investigation was requested by the mayor of Uvalde, Don McLaughlin, after reports indicated police forces waited all through crucial minutes before trying to take out the 18-year-old shooter.

This shooter killed 19 kids and educators while holed up in a classroom on Tuesday. McLaughlin asked for an investigation after the reports.

Impartial Account

A statement released by the department on Sunday reads as follows:

“The primary objective of the evaluation is to provide an impartial account of criminal justice actions. It is also to account for interactions that day and recognize actionable insight to help first responders prepare for potential active shooter events.”

The statement continued, “The evaluation will also identify best practices and lessons learned to assist first responders in preparing for and responding to active shooter occurrences.”

According to the government, the investigation will be “fair, open, and impartial.” It will be carried out in a manner comparable to that of other investigations into mass shootings.

As officials seek to piece together a chronology of the police’s reaction, the response of police departments has come under question for the amount of time it took to stop the gunman.

Officials told NBC News that federal agents previously stated they disobeyed orders from local police departments at the scene.

Instead, they had to take action themselves after waiting for up to 30 minutes to form the popular “stack” formation outside the school.

This information was provided by federal agents who previously stated they disobeyed orders from local law enforcement at the scene. 

Suspect Murder

A member of BORTAC, also called the Border Patrol Tactical Unit, shot and killed the suspect. His name was Salvador Ramos and he was reportedly hiding in a closet at the time of the incident.

During a media briefing on Friday, the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Steven McCraw, stated at least 19 police were supposedly held up out front of the school for almost an hour before trying to enter.

This is based on input from Peter Arredondo, the police chief for the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District. Arredondo was reportedly providing the officers with instructions.

According to McCraw, the instructions were based on the notion that there was not an active danger since they assumed the shooter could be trapped alone in the classroom.

This was the “wrong judgment,” but it was the basis for the belief there was no actual danger.

According to the statement, when the Justice Department is done with its investigation, it will put together and release a report with its findings.